Intertextual Connections


Character

For me, it's about running the extra mile....for no extra reason. And, that makes all the difference.

Look at the stone cutter, hammering away at the rock, perhaps a hundred times without as much as a crack showing in it. Yet at the hundred and first blow it will split in two, and I know it was not the last blow that did it, but all that gone before - Jacob Riis

In confrontation between the stream and the rock, the stream always win - not through strength but through perseverance.

Dad share an interesting story with me yesterday night upon returning from bible study. I think the email speaks for itself. I have taken selected portions of it.

Hi Mr Ee.

Firstly, a happy new year to you and your family. It was very nice meeting you in your restaurant in Malaysia during my visit to Heidelberg.

As promised, I have checked with my father after he returned to Hong Kong to see whether you were the Part Time who helped him in his take-away in 1971 and having seen your photos, he said you were the guy! So, what we have speculated was correct and that the shop you have worked, called Happy Garden and it is still there today in Rickmansworth. My father remembered what you looked like and that he said what a great guy you were, as well as the family ******** business in Malaysia that you have. He said he fondly remembered the way that you have worked hard and have managed to save money even when you were living abroad in UK, to invest in the stock market. What a coincidence and so strange that we managed to meet in Malaysia!

The person who wrote the email was his son. In his early thirties, working for Kodak who was in Malaysia for a site visit. The Malaysian counterparts and him had dinner with my dad and casual conversation became a rather stunning walk down memory lane. It gave him some 'ummmph' he says.

Dad only said this to me, I hope that in 35 years after I'm long gone, someone will remember you in you good name. I never found it demeaning in my life to work as a waiter or anything else, I just do my job and work doubly hard. Because I know what I want, its not about the wealth or money. Its simply about one's character.

Watch your actions; they become habits. Watch your habits; they become character. Watch your character; it becomes your destiny. - Frank Outlaw

Some people speak from experience; others, from experience, don't speak. I need to learn how to do the latter. Sometimes you have to be quiet to be heard.



0 Responses to “Character”

Post a Comment



© 2005-2006 Intertextual Connections | Blogger Templates by GeckoandFly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.